Files and Resources for Optics (TECP TTVN)
Here are the notes:
- 2009-01-16: First homework assignment, due Friday, Jan 28:
Chapter 2 problems:4,5,13,19
- A set of example problems solutions for Ch. 2
- 2009-01-19: Here is a Project PHYSNET module
that has a good alternate set of examples on the wave equation and
harmonic waves. It includes example problems with brief answers similar
to those above.
- 2009-01-21: Notes on harmonic waves, the
first part of the chapter in detail. These are 'article' form, good for
printing. I add a few things to the first sections of Ch. 2.
- 2009-01-21: Older set of notes on end of
chapter, superposition and complex representations.
- 2011-01-28: Radiation, energy/momentum flow
- 2011-01-28: Ch 4: Propagation, scattering
- Due date revised:Homework for Ch. 3: 14, 16, 27, 35 Due Feb. 7.
- 2011-02-04: Derivation of dipersion (semiclassical) from section 3.5. Here is the
Slides version for presentation online.
- 2011-02-07: We will use the Ch 4. notes above. Next set of problems: 4-2,12,21,54. Due Feb. 14.
- 2011-02-09: WTAMU was closed due to heavy snow. We will be continuing in Ch 4 with internal
reflection, polarization on reflection, frustrated internal reflection, etc. I will probably post
some new notes soon.
- 2011-02-11: I will probably discuss total internal reflection with the text and Falstad's applets,
then we will start on Fermat's principle and
- 2011-02-17: Solutions for Chapter 2 Homework
- 2011-02-17: Solutions for Chapter 3 Homework
- 2011-02-18: Test 1, a take-home test. Due February 25.
- 2011-04-04: Test 2, a take-home test. Due April 11. TYPO
CORRECTED in problem 6.
- 2011-04-04: Complex Fourier Series, notes.
- 2011-04-11: "A Child's Guide to Interferometry"
This is a 1-D minimal introduction to interferometry in radio astronomy. It shows an interesting
example of Young's double slit "in reverse" with the additional advantage that one can
measure the phase of radio signals. Also another good example of the use of complex
- 2011-04-13: wavefront-splitting interferometers
- 2011-04-13: Powerpoint diagrams of some
- 2011-04-13: Thin film interference
- 2011-04-13: Homework for Chapter 9: 8,34, 43,47. Due Apr. 20.
- 2011-04-20: Here are some project PHYSNET modules which are good supplementary notes on
topics of chapters 9 and 10:
Project PHYSNET is an excellent resource for intermediate
physics, including lots of examples and problems. Modules numbered in the 400's by
Reif and co-workers seem to be particularly good.
- 2011-04-29:There was no lecture today.
- 2011-04-29:Here is the Final Exam, due May 10
Links to the streaming archive of the class lectures:
Back to the home page